Wilhelm Conrad Röntgen
Born March 27, 1845. Died February 10, 1923. This German physicist discovered X-rays in 1895. X-rays can pass through any material that absorbs visible light. In 1901, Roentgen won the Nobel Prize for physics after years of experimenting and three papers published on the topic.
Family and Educational Background
1. Name the town where Roentgen was born?
2. Why was he expelled from the technical school at Utrecht?
3. Name one of his professors from Zurich?
4. In what year did he graduate with a PhD from the University of Zurich?
1. In what year did Roentgen become a lecturer in Strasbourg?
2. In 1900, Roentgen was elected to the chair of physics in which German city?
3. What is the title of Roentgen's original paper of X-rays?
4. Which university awarded him an honorary degree as doctor of medicine after his discovery?
Most Influential Discovery
1. Why did Roentgen call this new form of radiation X-rays?
2. What subatomic particle can X-rays dislodge from atoms?
3. On what date were X-rays discovered?
4. What did several of Roentgen's colleagues attempt to rename X-rays?
1. What pastime was Roentgen most passionate about?
2. Name Roentgen's adopted daughter.
3. In 2004 scientist named an element after Roentgen. What is its name?
4. Where was Roentgen's summer home?
Influence on other Scientists
1. Roentgen is considered the father of what?
2. Name a scientist who followed Roentgen in refusing to file a patent on moral grounds?